Your Take
comments

Your Take: New $5 Bill & The Huge Purple 5

Front of the New $5 Bill

Check out the latest super-anti-counterfeit bill to hit the streets, it’s none other than the fiver and it debuted today with much fanfare over its added security feature and that humongous purple FIVE located on the back (picture below). Many of the added security features come from higher denominated bills (such as more watermarks and a security strip) and I was surprised that they would revamp a $5 with these security features, but what do I know. Here’s the back of the bill.

Back of the New $5 Bill

I’m a fan of the increased use of microprinting, where small, difficult to reproduce, text is repeated in numerous places. On the front, Five Dollars” is written inside the left and right borders. E Pluribus Unum (“Out of Many, One.” in Latin) is printed at the top of the shield in the Great Seal. USA is printed between the columns of the shield. Finally, on the back, USA FIVE is printed on the edge of the purple 5.

One cool thing I didn’t know was that the little yellow “05″s are arranged in a EURion constellation. Many color photocopiers will refuse to copy a document if it detects a EURion constellation pattern. Here I thought the “05″s were just randomly scattered. Many currencies use this EURion constellation pattern.

Now, I’m not a huge fan of the big purple 5 but it’s said that it is designed that way for the visually impaired, what do you think about that purple 5? Ugly? Pretty?

(Images from US Bureau of Engraving & Printing)

13 Responses to “Your Take: New $5 Bill & The Huge Purple 5”

1. JSB says:

I don’t mind the large purple 5. Perhaps my opinion will change when I see a real bill.

2. Jeremy says:

Does it really matter since hardly anyone uses cash any more? In fact, every time I go grocery shopping, there is a 100% chance I’ll be behind someone who is writing a check, and they will wait until the cashier gives them the total before they even get the checkbook out of their pocket or purse.

Joking aside, I think the changes are decent, minus the big purple 5, but these subtle uses of color are about worthless. Sure, it may make counterfeiting a bit harder, but it doesn’t help the people who actually use it either. I’ve spent a lot of time in Europe, and I absolutely love both the Euro and British money. Incredibly easy to use and differentiate, both the bills and coins. I especially like the use the 0.02, 0.20, and the 1 and 2 euro/pound coins.

But, given our stubborn government, attachment to the “greenback”, and inability to ever adopt change, even if it is for the best, I think we’ll forever be stuck with mutated versions of the current money designs.

3. Kathryn says:

Fun topic with an important issue behind it. It’s always interesting to see our money change. The Purple 5 makes it look a little bit like children’s game money but I’m sure we’ll get used to it after we start seeing it more and more. I wonder if other countries change the design of their money as often as we do?!

4. Stngy1 says:

Apparently there’s either a mandate/court ruling/something requiring the Treasury Dept to start making paper currency accessible to the visually impaired. I found a bit of a discussion online about this, as I was curious as to why they included such a feature on the new bills. I have a visually impaired kid, and have never seen much concern from the Feds unless “encouraged”. Hope it works!

5. I like it, it definitely stands out; especially with all that purple.

6. Trisha says:

I don’t know. The whole thing looks like an art project that had a cup of water spilled over it…minus the 5, which looks like it was stamped on afterward. I liked the new $20′s. But, this version of the $5 is strange. Are counterfeiters really crazy about reproducing $5 bills? It seems to me that’d be a money-losing proposition anyway.

7. Meg says:

I love purple! Best part of the new $5 I think – the rest, I agree with Trisha, looks like a watercolor project with too much water.

8. Elsa says:

This is hideous. Also, who cares? It’s a $5 bill. American currency just keeps on getting more unattractive relative to foreign currency.

9. Zacl says:

The giant purple Five only partially responds to the needs of the visually impaired. They are attempting to make bills easy to identify for the visually impaired but refuse to offer bills of various dimensions. Other countries have bills of different value shaped by different sizes and dimensions. The USA is loudly behind on this. Purple is fun. The blind still cannot see the difference. Perhaps their solution to hearing impaired individuals not being able to use the phone was to turn the volume up.

10. Sharri says:

I think it is pretty cool… Besides the fact that I thought I done got a counterfit bill!!!

11. Current-C says:

I think this is the ugliest of the new designs so far. I’m all for helping those with impaired vision but the purple five is not the least bit integrated with the overall design nor is it consistent across the range of bills. Contrary to popular belief, the anti-counterfiting features are more about protecting the integrity of the 100 bill than preventing the duplication of fives. Turns out current fivers can be bleached and then overprinted as 100s to retain the feel of real currency. The new features- namely the change to a numeric watermark and the strip of watermarked fives will make this more difficult. The US has taken a very conservative approach to changing it’s currency. Prior to the appearance of the large face bills in the mid 1990s, the face of the notes had essentially the same appearance in 1914 as they did in 1995. Contrast this with Canada which has completely redesigned its banknotes four times since 1960.

12. CYNTHIA says:

Coming from Canada 40 yrs if we cant have colored bills for each financial category – then go with big colored number to diferentiate one from the other distinguishable – good for the elderly and sight impaired…..and all of us who have made mistakes many a time with them all being the same color…..

13. Anonymous says:

I love it and I am collecting them