Your Take
comments

Your Take: What Does Thrift Mean To You?

David Blankenhorn's Thrift: A CyclopediaDid you know that it’s Thrift Week?

In celebration of National Thrift Week, I want to know, what does Thrift mean to you?

To me, thrift always seemed like one of those old fashioned words from a bygone era. I always equated it to frugality, where you are smart about your money and trying to get the most out of every dollar. Thrift was virtuous and consumerism was evil. Since that era, which I think ended sometime in the 70′s or 80′s, we’ve replaced thrift with consumerism. Saving was replaced by borrowing.

I was especially interested to learn that thrift referred to more than just saving money and spending wisely. It also referred to working hard and giving back to the community, two points that are once again coming back into fashion (along with saving and spending wisely). I think we’re seeing the pendulum swing back away from frivolous borrow & spend and swing towards thrift. I think it’s a good sign. What do you think?

Templeton Press, the fine people behind this push to bring back thrift, have generously offered to give away three copies of David Blankenhorn’s Thrift: A Cyclopedia. Leave a comment sharing what thrift means to you and you will be entered to win a copy of the book. This contest will close at noon on January 30th.

The contest is now closed. Congratulations to the winners, Diane, Caitlin, and Audra, we hope you enjoy your new copy of Thrift!

110 Responses to “Your Take: What Does Thrift Mean To You?”

1. Chi says:

Thrift, for me, means getting a good deal on quality products. Not just buying the cheapest brand, but finding the expensive brand at the cheap brand price :D

2. Patrick says:

Thrift means making use with what you have. It also means smart spending. Not just cheap spending but spending on quality and researching your purchases. Thrift means self-discipline. Living to a higher standard – not succumbing to peer pressure or the temptation of the easy life. Thrift means work, sometimes hard work, towards meeting a long term vision or goal.

3. Cherie R. says:

Thrift to me means looking for ways everywhere to save money, finding great deals, cutting corners where and when you can and getting creative during hard times!

4. Lynn Cummings says:

Thrift for me means living responsibly for the 6 to 8 months a year my husband is working ,so we can continue to live responsibly during the months he is laid off with minimal financial worries.

5. Ginny says:

Thrift to me means working hard, being careful with money, not wasting.

6. Betty C says:

Thrift to me simply means to live with my means. One day it might mean buying a generic product instead of a brand name, another day might mean sewing something instead of purchasing ready made, saving instead of spending frivolously.

7. Naomi Milbrett says:

To me, thrift means living well, within my means. Taking the time to plan ahead and research good deals, and to make things rather than buy them when possible.

8. Ebie says:

for me, thrift means NEVER paying full price – for anything. if it’s not on sale w/ a coupon, i probably don’t need it

9. Teresa G says:

Thrift can be fun. I have been thrifty since my teens. It’s time for America to do whatever it takes to deal with our current high prices.
    Make your own food and grow it too! That is what Thrift means to me.