Personal Finance
comments

Your Take: What You’d Like To See (And a Survey!)

Happy Friday! It’s been a while since I’ve done of these types of Your Takes where I ask you what you’d like to see me cover and today seems like a mighty fine day to do it. Next week we’ll have a New Graduate Guide series because you guys seemed to enjoy our Career Week series last year, and we did a couple more Devil’s Advocates posts this year, again because you guys liked them. I can only tell based on emails and comments so I wanted to ask you all explicitly.

The survey is complete! Thank you to everyone who filled it out, we’ll be randomly selecting a winner of the $100 gift certificate soon!

Also, if you want a chance to win a $100 Amazon.com Gift Certificate we also have a quick five minute survey. We’re trying to nail down the demographics of Bargaineering readers so that we can put together something for potential advertisers. They always ask me for demographic information and the best I can ever come up with is: “They’re people smarter and better looking than me.” :)

So, if you have a moment and a desire to win $100 to spend at Amazon, please take our survey and share what you’d like to see for the future in the comments!

32 Responses to “Your Take: What You’d Like To See (And a Survey!)”

1. cdiver says:

I would like to see more entrepreneurial discussions such as startup ideas, trends.

2. Martha says:

I always like reading about unconscious money mores can affect our long term strategies! And how to prevent them from negatively impacting me!

3. cubiclegeoff says:

I like the posts that provide some piece of info (like vanguard is cutting its fees) and adding a discussion of the practical use for that services and ideas on what one can do.

4. zapeta says:

I always enjoy the posts that talk about investment ideas I might not be familiar with. I especially liked the series on dividend growth investing.

5. I like the investment ideas as well. While many people pointed out some stretches in feasibility, I enjoyed the Grand Plan post. :)

6. Oh, and I also like the Devil’s Advocate posts. That is the way I try to think about pretty much everything. It’s always important to examine both sides.

7. Scott says:

Jim, we just submitted our 501c3 form to the IRS for Ghent Bar Tours and are in the throes of getting the rest of our corporate paperwork completed as a new non-profit company. If you want to do a feature or special on anything related to such a matter, just let me know and I can provide some highlights (and pitfalls to avoid!). Maybe some others out there are curious how to give back via fundraising in large enough amounts that the IRS will start to notice and they need to create their own charitable company, trust, fund, etc.

8. Good luck with the survey and thanks for the chance to win the amazon gift card :)

9. Alex says:

I would like you to have a segment where you introduce different readers’ situations and discuss what they’re doing and planning, what problems they’re incurring, and whether they could be doing something differently.

10. I did the survey. I would have rather got BB’s though. :) )I always enjoy your posts. I liked the Career Week.

11. I think you write one of the best blogs in the personal finance space. With respect to topics, I’d like to see more process oriented posts that leverage some of the ideas that you bring up from time to time. You might present an investing idea, and then show readers how that fits into a repeatable (and successful) process.

Other than that, I’m a stats nerd, so anytime you post stats, I’m instantly dialed in.

12. Sadie says:

Having arrived at the age for Medicare, I discovered a Medigap (Plan F) policy far surpasses the plans offered to retirees of the major international company from which I retired. No deductible, co-pays, etc as required by the retiree plan or the Advantage plans plus the costs is significantly less. Having tried to discuss with retirees’, they all consider company related coverage superior though no one will do their own comparison.

Though plans differ from company to company,
    considering there may be taxes involved as the new Healthcare plans unfold, this may be a subject to consider in a future blog.

13. Kirk says:

Jim, Ideas, ideas, ideas. I’d actually like to read some more writing about developing ideas to take personal responsibility to the next level. How one goes from cubicle dweller, to entrepreneur without ending up divorced and homeless in the process. My demographic is 30-something year old engineer, who likes and gets the techy stuff, but needs more help with the business stuff. For some my age personal finance includes S-Corps, Sole proprietorships, dual incomes, dual citizenships etc. Stick to the core of personal finance, but I’d like to see some tracks around here. And some organization. Your content is great, but it’s now so good it’s begging for information architecture.

I’d love to see you writing for Mint.com, Vanguard or ING Direct doing some of what Suze Orman promised but failed miserably at during the last year at TDAmeritrade, encouraging savers as they saved.

14. DIY Investor says:

I like the investing and financial planning stuff. Anything new coming legislation wise is always interesting as well.

15. Kevin says:

A more specific thing I’ve been wondering about is how people track their asset allocations across multiple brokerages. I’m currently putting together a google doc but there has got to be a better way.

• Jim says:

I use Quicken for that, though I bet there are other ways.

• Could you elaborate on what you would like to see in a ‘better way’? I’m curious because financial advisors have this available through numerous providers, but I haven’t seen anything that does a solid job on the consumer side. What would you want in a perfect world?

@Jim – it’s still a relatively manual process for Quicken, is it not? Haven’t been in there software for a couple of years. Would you suggest buying it, and if so, what version?

16. eric says:

“They’re people smarter and better looking than me.”

why if you insist Jim.. ;) jk!

i’m not picky and i like reading about a variety of topics. i just like learning about anything personal finance in general.

17. Steve says:

I almost fear requesting this (due to the can of worms it will open on the message board), but I would like to hear more about trends, demographics, politics, etc, and how we can use the information available to make some predictions about the future.

Example: if taxes are assumed to be going up in the future, we should invest in Roth IRA’s. If oil or housing (or education) are far outpacing inflation, we can start to look at the possibilities of a bubble.

18. cubiclegeoff says:

I also wouldn’t mind some ideas on asset allocation. I know it needs to be done, but I have no idea of what it should entail (how much large, mid, small cap; value, growth or blend; commodities, real estate?). I know some of this is personal, but what could be considered a balanced portfolio in terms of asset allocation?

19. billsnider says:

I always enjoy hearing what people are doing. I am curious and like to learn from life experiences.

Bill Snider

20. echidnina says:

I enjoy the articles on frugality. I learn a lot from all the articles here, but the frugal living posts always contain the kind of practical advice I can put into use immediately.

21. Wilma says:

I like reading what every one else does in life situations. Whether it’s frugal living , financial or every day grind stuff. I glean a nice gem or two from the blogs and responses that follow just about every time I come here. This is an excellent web site for bouncing ideas off the wall and those little gems that help you get by. Thank you every body for sharing. =)

22. savingeverything says:

Can you please state the rules, terms, and disclosures for the survey please? How will the winner be selected? Is it totally subjective to your likes? How will you remove people who have multiple survey entries, or people who take survey many times using different emails? Or, how about people who take the survey using different internet sources using different emails? Also, you need to have entries on survey for “i do not wish to disclose”; either way, it would be interesting to see how people responded.

23. ebekele says:

Investments and anything that has to do with finance…

24. jsbrendog says:

damn i missed it! i try to be distant from the laptop on weekends

25. reducereuserecycle says:

I’d like to see the date added to your articles?

• Kirk says:

Before this one gets buried in the comments. I’d like to echo that. Most of us have learned to live with not knowing the date you published an article, but it would be helpful and you could use it as part of your information architecture (and you’ve got that data stuck in a db somewhere anyway).

We usually are able to deduce that from the date of the first comment.

• tmartin says:

FYI – the date is published with each article, it’s just hard to find. This just illustrates that it should be more prominent :) Look for it next to Jim’s picture near the bottom of the article in very very tiny font, haha.