Your Take
comments

Your Take: Your Best Purchase

Tobey!I think my best “purchase” in recent memory was adopting our beagle Tobey. We rescued him from a local rescue, Partnership for Animal Welfare (PAW), after meeting him at an event at our local Petco. He was 7 when we adopted him a little more than a year ago and the house is always a little too quiet without him barking (or snoring).

In fact, as I write this, he’s stretched out behind my chair just snoozing away. What a life! :)

I knew that adopting a pet would be a lot of work, though I underestimated how much responsibility it was, but I’ve never regretted the decision. Adopting an older dog has it’s advantages and disadvantages. For example, he’s already house trained and knew a few commands (making subsequent training easier) but a year in the kennel has made him a little jumpy and defensive. We’re working on all of that and it’s been a wonderful time.

We didn’t really “purchase” him, as you would a pet at a pet store, but we paid for shots and checkups and such.

What was your best purchase in recent memory? It can be something you use all the time or it could be a stock that happened to be doing well lately. Share anything and everything, we want to know!

40 Responses to “Your Take: Your Best Purchase”

1. KimmyBlue says:

My best purchase was this past January – I invested in LASIK eye surgery. Prior to the surgery I was 20/1600 and needed glasses or contacts whenever I needed to see (which was basically whenever I wasn’t sleeping). Now, I can see 20/20, and eventually the surgery will pay itself off (not having to purchase glasses or contacts year over year). But that’s not the real benefit – the true benefit is the improvement to my quality of life – no longer having contacts irritate my eyes, sweating while working out doesn’t bother my eyes/contacts when it gets into my eyes, and waking up in the middle of the night and being able to read the numbers on the clock – all priceless. At least once I day I think about how happy I am that I can SEE!!! Best investment ever.

2. Daniel D says:

This was a good post. Makes me think of My German Shepherd Cody. Well my most recent “Best” purchase has got to be my Giant Sedona Bicycle. Now I am a 42 year old man, who recently was told by my doctor that I was on the borderline of Type 2 Diebetes unless I took charge of my life and got my weight down and started eating correctly. So I bought the bike. I got a deal on it for 299.00 (usually arout 375) and I don’t feel silly riding it. The best feature on this bike though is the shock on the seat post! I ride alot near my home on the back roads and let me tell you it has got to be the best invention ever..lol. This bike is so comfortable, that I take it out everynight with my dog Cody trotting beside me, and have lost over 25lbs and have managed to bring my sugar levels down significantly.
    Well I hope you all get to ride one!

3. Danielle says:

I also adopted a pet, it is interesting as I am finding I was told it is a male, but as I look further into the build of the creature, it may be a female they misdiagnosed. They-the VCA Animal Center in Richland, WA-are still arguing it is male, but the undercarriage is none existant and it has female setting. So the battle exists.

4. Lynn says:

My best purchase was a BAMIX inversion blender from William Sonoma. If you are a cook and make blended soups as much as I do, this is a really treat. I purchased it with a gift card I won which makes it even sweeter :)

5. We adopted a cat, but it was more that she showed up on our front step. Even though we didn’t really purchase her as you said, she is an awesome pet.

In terms of actual purchase, I would have to say the best thing I bought was a latex topper and pillows. There aren’t many people familiar with latex as a bedding material, but it so great. Not only is latex a natural rubber that is harvested sustainably, but it is easily one of the best bedding materials to have. I feel so refreshed and rested after sleeping all night, unlike in the past. There is no more shifting and it feels like I’m sleeping on a cloud :) Though latex can be a little pricey, it lasts for a long time and my sleep was worth the cost.

6. daenyll says:

I’d have to say the wireless router I got after christmas. It’s great not being hardwired to one spot, I can now get work done(or wander about my favorite blogs) while waiting to flip pancakes or while getting other chores done.

7. NessaMae says:

shower radio! this was inexpensive and provides hours and hours of fun. whenever i travel now, i really miss having the radio and being able to sing in the shower.

8. My divorce. Costly, but the best money I ever spent.
    Runner-up: My blog domain name, aka, “my playground for words.”