Your Take
comments

Your Take: Your Favorite Board Game

DominionThis week I wrote about how to maximize your entertainment dollar and all the comments seemed to center around our favorite board games. So it seemed like the perfect Friday Your Take post would be if everyone shared their favorite games!

Our latest favorite is Dominion, as I mentioned in that post, because it’s a different game each time. We’ve been mostly playing the “scenarios” in the instruction books, just to get a better understanding of the game; but the game lets you randomly select cards so each game is different.

What’s your favorite game lately? Favorite all time?

94 Responses to “Your Take: Your Favorite Board Game”

1. jsbrendog says:

clue is absolutely my fav but you need at least 3 people and for some reason ppl dont seem to dig it. also there’s the brainless and mindless ol faithful sorry. dominoes is also quite fun although it doesn’t have a board yet is a game.

scrabble is a close second and cranium has wormed its way into my brain as well. best game for just sitting around is catchphrase though.

2. Jon says:

Axis and Allies is pretty sweet.

3. Liz Kay says:

Seconding the votes for Apples to Apples (great party game for any group of adults, easy to learn and fun for multiple rounds). Catchphrase is another good party option — kinda like Taboo meets musical chairs. We got addicted to Blokus over the winter holidays, but only four people can play. Puerto Rico is also a favorite but I try not to spring the strategy games on people without warning. :]

And, I’ve heard very good things about another party game, Wits and Wagers.

4. Jason says:

Our favorite as of late has been Warhammer: Invasion LCG from Fantasy Flight Games

Any boardgamegeek members commenting on here?

5. Donald says:

Right now Dominion is the best board game out there. I still really enjoy Settlers of Catan, but not the basic set as it is too basic for my tastes. I like to play with the Cities and Knights expansion set as it leads to almost endless possibilities. There are so many great games out there, many of them have been mentioned in this thread.

My biggest problem is finding a group reliable players that play regularly (read: monthly), my Wife does not play board games.

• Seth @ Boy Meets Food says:

I haven’t tried Dominion yet, but I keep hearing about how great it is… I guess I will have to give it a shot.

Do you ever play Settlers online? When I can’t find people to play with in person, that’s how I get in my game fix.

6. Trent says:

Our favorite is Sequence.

A little luck, a little planning, any age and play, and it can scale well to any number of players.

7. pcallaghan says:

anyone know of/have conquest? I’m in search of it, please let me know as I would love to purchase it!

8. otipoby says:

For those of you who like Phase 10 the card game, you have got to try Phase 10 the board game. We prefer the board game so much, my family will probably never play the card game again.

9. arwisesox says:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com is an amazing find for board games! For those looking for more strategy out of their games, Arkham Horror, Puerto Rico, Agricola, and La Havre are great! Anyone looking to have a more relaxed family affair should look into Settlers of Catan, Carcasonne, Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Galaxy Trucker, or Ticket to Ride. There are also many good two player games, just check out the website for all that ails you!

10. Izalot says:

I love board games! My favorite currently is Stone Age. Traditional favorite is Risk.

11. govenar says:

I haven’t played board games in a while, but my favorite is probably Monopoly

12. eric says:

I really got into Settlers around Christmas time. It was a ton of fun to play at social gatherings. :)

13. For me is Agricola and Settlers of Catan. Agricola can be a difficult game to get the hang of, but once you understand the rules the gameplay is fairly easy to follow. The one thing that makes it so complicated is that there are so many parts! And all of the parts are just painted wooden pieces. But a truly great game!

14. MattD says:

My favorite of all time was a game called Supremecy. It was kind of like a Risk, Axis & Allies with Nukes, killer sattleites, and a fluctuating stock market all rolled into one.

My favorite current game has to be Apples to Apples.

15. javi says:

Monopoly and checkers, loved playing them.

16. Puerto Rico is a great game!

17. athena1224 says:

I know we are talking about board games but I love card games. We play a lot of pinnochle, pitch, and rummy. Cards are also easy to bring along places.

• echidnina says:

Cards are especially great because you can play hundreds of different games with a single deck (and more with two)! So cards are like the ultimate frugal form of entertainment, even more so than board games which you have to each purchase individually.

• Martha says:

I’m also a fan of euchre and bridge. I’m a little young for the bridge crowd so I enjoy playing euchre with our friends in the UK.

• lostAnnfound says:

Cards are great, especially pitch & contract rummy. They are also very portable. We always have a deck (or two) in the glove box of the truck just in case and I can always toss a deck in my bag to take along also. Fun on the go, wherever you end up :)

• Shirley says:

Cards… YES!
      The whole family enjoys Pinochle and 31. Dice games like Aces Out are also great, even for the very young.

18. mgessford says:

I really like Ticket to Ride. We also have a few of the expansion sets, which are great when the original starts to feel like the “same old, same old”. For card games, Quiddler is a ton of fun, and scales up to 10 players (though that can make for a long game…).

• Jim says:

I’m a big fan of “expansion packs” for games, one of the cool things about Dominion is that you don’t need the original to play the expansions (though if they could discount the expansions and remove the base cards, I’d be in favor of that too).

19. Wow, I never knew so many people liked Settlers. Great game that is not very well know by the general public. A party game I enjoy is Apples to Apples.

20. daenyll says:

Was always a fan of battleship, but that might be because my sister and I tended to morph it into actual seiges with lego and block castles, marbles and mini trebuchets…

21. JPeteQ says:

I love Dominion, Intrigue, and I’m hoping we get to play the Seaside expansion tonight. I also really love Agricola but it’s really (REALLY) hard for me. The nice thing though is that you can play it solitaire or up to 6 people and they have a simpler version if you’ve got kids of 8 and up.

Settlers, Set, Apples to Apples, Balderdash and Things are our favorite party games. Or Killer Bunnies which isn’t my favorite but we play it a lot.

22. Settlers of Catan is my favorite board game. It’s a great game because it’s fun for everyone, even if you don’t win!

23. Clayton says:

Apples to apples, Monopoly, and Risk or at the top of the list, but the greatest game ever invented for a small group has to be….
    Spoons! its the most fun thing I’ve ever played and it’s always been fun

24. stuarsj says:

Monopoly is one of my favorites, but it is so hard to find people who want to play it.

25. Mimi says:

We have been playing Loopit and SET all winter and they have been big hits with the entire family that ranges from 7 – 68. Also we got Qwirkle cubes for Christmas and we like that also.