Your Take
comments

Your Take: Your Favorite Board Game

DominionThis week I wrote about how to maximize your entertainment dollar and all the comments seemed to center around our favorite board games. So it seemed like the perfect Friday Your Take post would be if everyone shared their favorite games!

Our latest favorite is Dominion, as I mentioned in that post, because it’s a different game each time. We’ve been mostly playing the “scenarios” in the instruction books, just to get a better understanding of the game; but the game lets you randomly select cards so each game is different.

What’s your favorite game lately? Favorite all time?

94 Responses to “Your Take: Your Favorite Board Game”

1. Aaron N. says:

Big fan of both Monopoly and Masterpiece.

2. Curio says:

I’ll second Ticket to Ride and I still love Monopoly.

Those of you that play Dominion, have you found the card that makes the game pretty much broken? We used to play a lot, but with one of the certain cards and knowing how to use it, it pretty much makes the game one-sided. I won’t ruin it for the rest of you.

• Martha says:

Not so much “broken” but very fast and aggressive. If you read up on Boardgamegeek.com you can uncover some helpful strategies to combat the use of that card. Also, once we played one requisite game using the card’s strategy (and I stomped out a victory :) ), we haven’t chosen a set of cards that includes it. This way we can continue to try out new combinations and enjoy the game.

3. Jill says:

Scrabble and Taboo

4. Curio says:

I wish I had some more games right now with all the snow we’re having in D.C.

5. Izalot says:

Before this thread gets lost in the ether field, can anyone recommend a good and cheap board game table to sit six people?

6. My favorite is 1960: The Making of a President, though I also like Dominion as well.

Good board game for six: Hoity Toity or if you want something heavy, Settlers of Catan with the 5-6 player expansion or for an even heavier game, Die Macher.

7. Anders Malius says:

My favourite board game is Risk. I’ve found a great place to play it online here http://www.artofwar.cc/ They have 20+ player games going, custom maps and gameplay, great graphics, well worth a visit.

8. Matt says:

A unique take on a classic: Birdopoly!