Your Take
comments

Your Take: Your Favorite Meal

Flaming Wok (Not Me!)As I mentioned last week, my lovely wife and I have started cooking more because it’s fun, healthier, and easier on the wallet. We’ve documented some of our creations on Bargaineering, from pork and shrimp dumplings to pizza to to homemade apple pie. We’ve even gone super high class and cooked up a Provençal rack of lamb earlier this year.

How do we pick what we want to cook? It’s a mixture of what’s on sale that week at our local grocery store and the meals we absolutely love. We both loved dumplings so we thought it would be fun to make our own filling and “make” dumplings. My wife always had homemade apple pie on the first day of school and so I made her a pie when she started her new graduate program.

In the end, part of the fun is taking a recipe, adding your own touches and tailoring it to match your tastes. Each time you make it, you get closer and closer to the perfect dish. We’ve tried our hand at replicating dishes from our favorite restaurants, sometimes we get it right and sometimes we are very very off. Either way, it’s been a fun challenge. :)

For today’s Your Take, I wanted to learn what your favorite meals or dishes were. We’ve shared some of ours and shown how easy many of them are to make, I was hoping you all could share your favorites. It doesn’t have to be fancy or anything like that, in fact I would prefer if it wasn’t so we could make it easily and often, but it has to be something you absolutely love. It can be a homemade dish or one you order from a restaurant – whatever is the first and favorite in your mind. :)

I look forward to reading what your favorite meal is!

(Photo: liberato)

55 Responses to “Your Take: Your Favorite Meal”

1. Martha says:

My favorite is homemade chicken pot pie, really simple too!

- Store bought pie crust (comes in a package of two)
    - Cream of Chicken Soup (condensed, Campbell’s Healthy 98% Fat Free is good!)
    - Cream of Celery Soup (condensed, FF, low sodium, etc is good)
    - 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix microwaved for 2 minutes to thaw, drained
    - 1 cup frozen corn, microwaved for 2 minutes to thaw, drained
    - 2 tsps. italian seasoning
    - 2 cooked chicken breasts, (simply cooked or broiled works best if using leftovers,) cut into small 1-2cm pieces.
    Put pot pie crust in pie pan, mix soups with vegetables, chicken and spices, cover with other pie crust. Cook for 45 minutes at 350F, if crust starts to get too brown, cover with Al. foil. Pie will be very hot when done, let sit a few minutes before eating!

My favorite thing to do is to take some of the extra crust (since the top of the pie won’t need the whole circle) and make some fun designs on the top :)

2. mikestreb says:

If you like HOT, try this out…

Very simple… A pound or two of fresh chicken (haven’t tried frozen, but it could still be good). A packet of McCormick Grill Mates Chipotle Pepper Marinade (http://www.mccormick.com/Products/GrillMates/Marinades/Grill-Mates-Chipotle-Pepper-Marinade.aspx). Marinade the chicken per the instructions on the packet for as few as 15 minutes. Then grill to perfection. Throw in some mashed or baked potatoes and some Green Giant Steamed Broccoli & Cheese (http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/product_image.aspx?catID=25204&itemID=32812). Pick up some bacon and shredded cheese for the baked potatoes.

Don’t want to toot my own horn or anything, but I have had 2 for 2 dinner guests say it was the best chicken they have ever had.

3. kr says:

Chicken soup with Gnocchi
    -4 or 5 boneless chicken breasts.
    -carrots
    -1 white onion the size of a baseball
    -garlic cloves
    -olive oil
    -curry powder (I like it hot)
    -vegetable soup base (comes in a jar)
    -frozen gnocchi
    -salt to taste

chop up carrots and onions and garlic and sautee in olive oil till the onions are clear.
    add a few cups of water and cook for a few minutes and then add the chicken. pour more water in the pot to cover everything. I like to use a pretty big pot and fill 3/4 full. This is not an exact science. Cook for a few hours on low-medium heat, add water if it starts to boil down. When you are ready to eat, add some of the vegetable base (to taste)
    curry powder (to taste) and salt to the broth.
    Cook the gnocchi (barley is nice if you prefer) and add to the soup. Dont throw the onions and carrots away, they are part of the soup. Dice up the chicken and add back to soup. If you feel like it you can chop up some baby spinach as a garnish or cilantro works too. This isn’t cheap soup, but it’s good and lasts a few days. The gnocchi really stick to your ribs! And its pretty healthy…

4. Wilma says:

I love soup. Always have cartons of chicken or vegi broth around to whip up a batch. I find grilling your vegis and or chicken before making the soup gives it added flavor. Grilling your meat balls and then throwing them into the spaghetti is tastey. Like Martha, I like chicken pot pie but my favorite version is made in a tall pot. You make egg noodles and roll them out, cut into squares and drop into boiling broth. You can do chicken, ham, beef, pheasant, deer or smoke sausage. add potatoes too.Yummmmy!!!!

5. AustinMorgan says:

My girlfriend is our cook and I’d like to help more but I need some basic lessons.

She recently made some chicken tortillas that were superb. We’re in Japan so Mexican food is hard to come by and she even hand-made the tortillas. A little salsa, guac, and chips to go along make for the perfect meal!

6. eric says:

I shouldn’t be thinking about food right now, but I want dumplingsssssssssss.

7. reiner says:

My favorite meals:d

- vegetable lasagna- just beans/chickpeas/peas with mushrooms, green leafy vegetables. tomatoes, peppers and a row of melted cheese
    - omelette
    - fruits salads/ yoghurt with fruits and honey
    - and of course pizza!

8. Safeway_Sage says:

I have many favorite meals, but the reason for my reply is the manner in which I like to cook. I love cooking with my pressure cooker. I’ve had it for about 5 years and my previous one longer than that!

Anything you cook in a pressure cooker comes out more tender and flavorful than if it was cooked through other means. It also uses a lot less energy to cook using a pressure cooker, which should appeal to the ‘Greenie’ in all of us.

S_S

9. redivelli says:

A good peach cobler is always welcome in my mind.

Higher up the list is crawfish ettouffe.

The favorite I make is porkchop au roux! Mmmm food.

Making pancakes as I type :D

10. I’ve been making a lot of soups lately. This one is SO GOOD! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Sausage-Tortellini-Soup/Detail.aspx We also really like cooking short ribs in the crock pot. YUM! :)

11. Favorite regular food, or favorite special dish?

Rack of lamb is hard to beat: make a crust by whipping olive oil into a few Tbsp of good Dijon-style mustard with minced garlic and chopped rosemary. Spread this paste onto the lamb, top with freshly made bread crumbs and cook in a fast oven for 20 minutes or so. Serve rare with wild rice/brown rice pilaf, crisp asparagus, and fresh green salad.

This Thanksgiving we’re going to repeat last TG’s triumph: duck smoked in the backyard charcoal smoker. Awe-inspiring!

12. daemondust says:

Give me a nice plate of mashed potatoes with the skins left in and I’m happy.

13. daenyll says:

I absolutely love swedish meatballs, but haven’t had them for ages cause it takes like 6lbs of meat to make a batch following my mom’s recipe and living single I neither have the time or the use for that many meatballs, and my freezer is generally full of veggies rather than meat. I think I might just ask for a batch for christmas, when I head home from school.

14. Salmon baked at 450 with olive oil and dill sprinkled on top. tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, salt and pepper salad. fresh baguette from the local french bakery. yum.

15. It’s clear by the number of posts that people love to talk about food.

My favorite meal is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn and biscuits. You must have a generous amount of country gravy over the steak and potatoes.

Yep, I’m from the Midwest!

16. I’m kind of traditional here–I like a stuffed roast chicken better than just about anything. It’s easy to make, looks like a holiday meal, makes the house smell great, and impresses company.

Oh, and whole chickens tend to be easy on the budget to boot. Not a bad combination!

17. As a Samurai, my favorite of course is eating the finest grade Bluefin Tuna Belly (Toro) sashimi! Accompany the sushi with the finest filtered sake, and I will die a happy man.

18. Deby says:

Sesame pork is the one dish where we all fight over who get the leftovers:

2 lbs pork tenderloin, sliced (about 1/2 inch thick)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp sesame seeds

Place sliced pork in a large bowl. Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over pork, making sure to coat completely. Transfer to a broiler and broil 4-6 mintues per side until juices run clear.

19. CK says:

Pork tenderloin. Nice.

20. aua868s says:

chicked biriyani and marinated chicken baken in oven..hmmmm