Your Take
comments

Your Take: Your Favorite Meal

Flaming Wok (Not Me!)As I mentioned last week, my lovely wife and I have started cooking more because it’s fun, healthier, and easier on the wallet. We’ve documented some of our creations on Bargaineering, from pork and shrimp dumplings to pizza to to homemade apple pie. We’ve even gone super high class and cooked up a Provençal rack of lamb earlier this year.

How do we pick what we want to cook? It’s a mixture of what’s on sale that week at our local grocery store and the meals we absolutely love. We both loved dumplings so we thought it would be fun to make our own filling and “make” dumplings. My wife always had homemade apple pie on the first day of school and so I made her a pie when she started her new graduate program.

In the end, part of the fun is taking a recipe, adding your own touches and tailoring it to match your tastes. Each time you make it, you get closer and closer to the perfect dish. We’ve tried our hand at replicating dishes from our favorite restaurants, sometimes we get it right and sometimes we are very very off. Either way, it’s been a fun challenge. :)

For today’s Your Take, I wanted to learn what your favorite meals or dishes were. We’ve shared some of ours and shown how easy many of them are to make, I was hoping you all could share your favorites. It doesn’t have to be fancy or anything like that, in fact I would prefer if it wasn’t so we could make it easily and often, but it has to be something you absolutely love. It can be a homemade dish or one you order from a restaurant – whatever is the first and favorite in your mind. :)

I look forward to reading what your favorite meal is!

(Photo: liberato)

55 Responses to “Your Take: Your Favorite Meal”

1. saladdin says:

I’m a simple man. Ribeye steak with grilled shrimp. After that meal death is welcomed, it doesn’t get any better.

saladdin

• stuarsj says:

That is one of my favorites as well. I like to add a side of mash potatoes to finish it off.

2. Don’t laugh at this …

Take a can of pillsbury biscuits. Flatten them on a cookie sheet.

Put tomato sauce on top of the biscuits. I prefer Contadina squeezable tomato sauce.

Top with shredded cheese. I usually do half of them with mozzarella and half with sharp cheddar.

Pop in the oven @ 450 degrees for 10 minutes.

As a Catholic who hates fish and is allergic to fish, this meal is a lifesaver during lent. But it’s good any time of the year :) Not to mention the fact that it’s ridiculously cheap.

3. lostAnnfound says:

Make a rotisserie chicken (I usually do two at a time on the grill and have chicken dishes planned). Take some of the meat, cut into bite size pieces and put into casserole dish. Add bag of frozen veggies (whatever is your favorite). Sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of flour and mix. Pour some chicken stock over all (about 1 store bought can). Put in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then open a can of Pillsbury crescent rolls and cover the mixture, pinching together the perforated seams, put back into oven for 10-15 minutes. Quick and easy, yummy chicken pot pie! Just made some a couple days ago. I usually do not have any leftovers of this dish because everyone loves it!

4. pcallaghan says:

My girlfriend created an amazingly healthy chicken pot pie… I could eat this everyday.

5. zapeta says:

We’ve started making home-made spaghetti and meatballs. I always thought that making meatballs would be harder than it is, and they’re very good. Its one of my new favorites.

6. hoht says:

A bowl of mum’s homemade pho always hits the spot.

7. Ken says:

My wife’s Mexican Casserole is great. Layered with cut corn tortillas, cheese, green chilis, ground beef with lots of cheese on top.

8. Debt Hawk says:

I think that my favorite meal is a juicy ribeye steak. I love the flavor of a ribeye.

My second favorite meal is slippery pot pie, a Pennsylvania Dutch dish that is like a stew.

Yummy

9. vtomar says:

Noodles and spaghetti are my preferences

10. Amber says:

My soon-to-be-husband’s all-time favorite meal that I make is chicken caesar burritos. I stole the idea from California Tortilla.

Take leftover chicken (or if you’re feeling lazy, rotisserie chicken from the grocery store – sooo yummy) and roughly chop it up.
    Cook a package of jasmine or other white rice as directed. When it’s done, add a whole lot of cilantro and plenty of lime juice.
    Warm up a can of black beans on the stove and add cumin, cayenne, salt, black pepper and chili seasoning to taste. Make it a little spicier than you like since it will mellow with all the other ingredients.

Now make some burritos – warm up big burrito tortillas in the (toaster)oven (NOT the microwave), add rice, beans, chicken, chopped romaine (important) and pico de gallo (not that important). Then the key: drizzle or pour on caesar dressing. My favorite is Ken’s Light Caesar.

Then eat! These things are huge and he always has two. I get *begged* to make this. It sounds a little weird – Mexican & Caesar – but it’s really tasty.

• Amber says:

I should add: you can buy pico read-made at the store (which we admittedly do most of the time because we’re just two) but if you’re making a lot, here’s all you need for pico:

tomatoes (get all the wet stuff out of them)
      cilantro (a ton)
      yellow onion (small pieces)
      jalapenos (cut them up really small)

This stuff is delicious. Don’t skimp on the cilantro or jalapenos – that’s what really makes the pico.

11. I write a food blog, so my site is full of awesome meals… I actually have a page I dedicated to the ones I have posted so far that have really stuck out as my favorites:

12. jsbrendog says:

chicken marsala, hands down. but you have to make sure the sauce is think and brown and not watery like generic pizza places/italian restaurants make it.

best dish i make is a parmesan encrusted baked chicken parma rosa using 1/3 breadcrumbs 2/3 grated parmesan or romano and then instead of tomato sauce i use knor parma rosa sauce mix. oh so delightful

13. Joshua says:

8 egg whites, 1 whole egg, mixed into an egg white omelet. Then 1.5 cups of old fashioned oats mixed with cinnamon.

14. Shirley says:

Straggledorf
    This is a inexpensive and very easy/quick takeoff on stroganoff that we often make for potlucks. It’s also the favorite for two of our boys. It absolutely disappears!

1 lb ground beef, crumble-cooked and drained
    1 medium onion, chopped and sauteed with the ground beef
    2 cans condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (don’t add milk)
    1 pint sour cream (imitation works fine)
    pepper, onion PWDR, garlic PWDR to your taste
    1 can or 8oz fresh sliced mushrooms

Mix all, heat through, and serve on hot wide noodles. Serves 8-10

15. Beth says:

I eat a lot of stir fry. I love my veggies, and stir fry is flexible enough that I can use up whatever is in my fridge (so no waste!) I can make it ultra-cheap with lentils, but it works with just about any meat that’s on sale that week.

16. JPeteQ says:

Whole wheat spaghetti with browned butter and shredded mizithra cheese. It takes 10 minutes start to finish and is wonderful. I usually nuke up some baby spinach greens for 30-35 seconds in the microwave to wilt them with a little sea salt and some kind of bread or toast. Mmmm..

17. VR2LNNNTT says:

My favorite meal is whatever I happen to be eating when sitting across from the love of my life, my wife of twenty six years, my childhood sweetheart of 46 years. It took me that long to convince her to marry me.

18. Donald says:

Irregardless of cultural and ethnic back ground, growing up in California allows for the heavy influence of Mexico on our palettes. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and so my favorite comfort foods are often times from Mexico. If I had topick just one dish, it would be the humble taco.

Tacos are the ultimate in portable, simple to make, delicious, unctuous, endlessly variable foods on the planet. Tacos are generally quick and easy to prepare and very difficult to mess up. Tacos are my favorite.

19. Marcie says:

My favorite meal is mexican pozole. My mom taught me how to make it as a thick stew with hominy, flour-encrusted pork and lots of yummy vegetables. It’s a dream come true, my husband will do anything for it!

20. Adrianne says:

This is one of my favoties from a cook book but it’s delicious. I usually add just a little more broth to it. Here goes:

Linguine with cauliflower, garlic and bread crumbs:

Serves 4

8 tbs. olive oil
    1 c. fresh bread crumbs
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    6 tbsps. chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp. dried red-pepper flakes
    1 tsp. anchovy paste
    1 lb. linguine
    1 head cauliflower (about 2-1/2 pounds, cut into small florets)
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 c. grated Parmesan , plus more for serving

1. In a large frying pan, heat 4 tbsps olive oil over moderate heat. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove. Wipe out the pan.
    2. Heat the remaining 4 tbsps oil in the same pan over moderately low heat. Add the garlic, parsley and red-pepper flakes. Cook starring for 1 minute. Stir in the anchovy paste. Remove from heat.
    3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the linguine until almost done, about 8 minutes. Add the cauliflower and bring back to a boil. Cook until the cauliflower and pasta are just done, about 4 minutes longer. Drain, Toss with the garlic mixture, salt, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Top with additional Parmesan.

Variations:
    - Substitue broccoli for cauliflower
    - Add a handful each of raisins and pine nuts at the same time as the garlic, parsley and red-pepper flakes.
    - Use four chopped anchovy fillets instead of the anchovy paste.

21. stuarsj says:

My favorite meal to make is Chicken Parmesean w/ pasta. The leftovers taste just as good the next day as well.

22. ddan7 says:

We call them Illini Steaks because we first bought them from a store near Champaign, IL that came them the name:

1. Buy a pork loin (on sale of course) and cut it into 1″ thick “steaks”
    2. Wrap with thick bacon and pin in place with toothpicks.
    3. Freeze the extras
    4. Season with Lawrys Seasoning Salt & Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning
    5. Grill to Perfection!

23. Jill says:

Chicken Madeira (Cheesecake Factory copycat) is by far my favorite “not that hard but really impressive” dinner.

I have also really gotten into this fajita recipe (chicken or beef)

24. Chris says:

Mine is tai green curry chicken cooked in coconut milk! The mini pizzas also rock.

25. Fairy Dust says:

roast chicken and veg. Seriously. Buy a roaster, stick it in a pan (after removing the wrapped up innards), add potatoes, whole shrooms, brussels sprouts, onions, carrots, rutabegas, parsnips or any other root veg you like around the chicken. Drizzle olive oil on everything, salt and pepper over the top of everything and roast at 350 for 2 hours. YUM! And tons of leftovers.